Extreme Dentistry is looking for a highly experienced and enthusiastic dental assistant to join our team to provide the highest standard of dental care.
We are happy to consider sponsorship for a work permit for any overseas qualified dentists and/or dental nurses who would still like to apply.
A dental assistant supports dental care delivery under the supervision and direction of a dental operator.
A dental assistant performs a variety of patient care, administrative and clinical duties, and often work under the direction of a dentist when examining and treating patients. The duties of a dental assistant include, however, are not limited to, assisting a dental operator during procedures and check-ups, preparing instruments for dental procedures, cleaning and maintaining treatment rooms in accordance with infection control procedures, ensuring dental supplies are adequately stocked, exposing and processing dental radiographs, and providing support to administrative staff.
The annual salary range will be $55,000-$60,000 AUD.
- Opening & Closing the surgery;
- Greet patients and prepare them for scheduled dental procedures;
- Provide assistance to the dentist throughout the course of procedures including clearing the patient’s mouth of saliva or dental materials used during the treatment by operating suction or other appropriate equipment.
- Prepare the treatment room as directed by the dental operator and ensure correct instruments and materials are available for use;
- Clean and sterilise the instruments prior to and after treatment;
- Clean the surgery and treatment room in accordance with the practice’s policies and procedures, including decontamination procedures for infection control;
- Coordinate treatment plans
- Provide the practice with administrative assistance, including the maintenance and re-stock of dental and office supplies;
- Prepare accounts and collect payments in accordance with the practice’s policies and procedures;
- Schedule appointments for patients and maintain detailed records of patient’s treatments; and
- Undertake reception and customer service duties, including, but not limited to, answering the telephone and carrying out general office duties.
- Process, develop and file patient X-rays;
- Operate digital imaging equipment;
- Provide patients with any necessary pre and post-operative instructions.
Skills & Experience
Required qualifications include:
- High School Certificate or equivalent and on the job training; or
- Certificate III or Certificate IV in Dental Assisting or equivalent experience;
- A radiation license may be required in accordance with any relevant state or territory regulation.
Required experience includes:
- Minimum Certificate IV in Dental Assisting or overseas qualified degree in dentistry.
- Minimum 2-year work experience in dentistry
Required skills include:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Proven ability to be punctual, reliable and multitask;
- Proficiency in English;
- Must have the right to work in Australia;
- Computer literate;
- Excellent time management and organization skills;
- Proven ability to maintain patients and business confidentiality;
- Understanding of oral anatomy and dental terminology;
- Ability to assist at chairside with minimum supervision; and
- Ability to operate radiographic equipment.
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to set priorities with minimum supervision
The below competencies describe some of the key outcomes that are to be achieved in the role and may be used to set the performance standards against which the employee will be assessed during their employment.
- Patient relationship
Greets patients and the ability to build rapport with patients.
- Communication with Dentist and the Dental Team
Ensures effective communication with the Dentist or Operator to provide treatment and develops good working relationships with the Dental Team.
- Treatment Preparation
Cleans and tidy the treatment room in preparation for scheduled dental procedures in line with the Practice’s infection control policies and procedures.
- Clinical Treatment
Provides assistance to the operator during a procedure or routine check-up.
- Decontamination and Infection Control
Ensures that infection control practices are applied.
- Clinical records
Keeps accurate and complete clinical records and ensures records are consistent with requirements under relevant legislation.
- Equipment maintenance
Maintains practice equipment and instruments as directed.
- Continuing Education and Development
Participates in Continuing Education and develops professional competence.
- Office Administration
When required assist office staff in the execution of their duties.
- Attention to Detail
Always demonstrates attention to detail and accuracy.
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrates the ability to professionally interact with individuals in all areas of work.
- Cooperation and Teamwork
The ability to work with others toward shared goals of the Dental Team. Establishes collaborative relationships with others in the practice.
Accepts the clinical direction of the Dentist or operator.
- Listening Skills
Demonstrates active listening skills and gives complete attention to what the dentist and colleagues are saying. Asking appropriate questions and taking time to understand recommendations and points made by others.
- Critical Thinking Skills
Demonstrates the ability to think critically using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or differing approaches to problem solving.
- Professionalism and Work Ethic
Demonstrates a strong work ethic by placing a high value on performing work diligently, as well as respecting others and functioning with integrity.
Adhere to our confidentiality agreement and maintain patient and business confidentiality.
Apply for Dental Assistant
After submitting through this form, a member of our team will get in touch with you as soon as possible. Is this job not quite for you? See our Dental Technician job.